The remains that you can visit today are from the 13th century. The castle was built on the site of a Norman motte and bailey. During the Norman conquest, powerful Norman lords settled in Brecon and surrounding area. The position of the castle, on the River Usk, on a branch towards Talgarth and the Wye Valley, is a fantastic strategic spot which enabled the lords of Tretower to defend and command the local area.
In the 12th century, the wooden castle was rebuilt in stone. The castle was extensively remodelled in the 13th century, building the great tower. Tretower Castle features ornamental stonework, which is beyond the needs of a defensive keep. The castle was a symbol of status and kept as a home. The Castle is now mainly in ruins but there is clear evidence of the power and influence of the lords of Tretower through the ages.
Tretower Court became the main domestic residence from 1400 with the castle remaining a defensive stronghold during the Owain Glyn Dwr uprising. The Court was build during the 1300s, with extensive changes being made in the 1400s. The buildings are set around a courtyard. Building work continued into the 17th century, and restoration work has taken place in recent years. Tretower Court is known to keep up with fashions of the age and there are great examples of owners imprinting their own style and zeitgeist of the age onto the structure of the court.
Visiting Tretower Court and Castle
Tretower Court and Castle are in the care of Cadw. There is an entrance fee, which includes and audio guide.
The site is in the village of Tretower, off the A479, three miles north-west of Crickhowell. There is parking beside the entrance. There are cobbles in the courtyard but the grass is kept short and the ground is firm. There is also disabled facilities.
Apr–Oct daily 10am–5pm;
Nov–Mar Mon–Thu closed, Fri–Sat 10am–4pm, Sun 11am–4pm